Welcome to the Sioux Valley Genealogical Society (SVGS). This organization, located in beautiful Sioux Falls, South Dakota, was founded in 1972 and continues to serve the genealogical research and documentation needs of our members and community with ties to the Dakotas and surrounding area. The SVGS is a group of volunteers dedicated to the collection and preservation of information about families, past and present, in the SVGS area of interest and to help its families obtain the information they need to document their family heritage.
Our purpose is to promote the discovery, collection, preservation, and interpretation of material pertaining to the local people and history of the area. The Society does that in the following fields of activity:
(1) acquisition of research collections of books, archival materials, photographs, and similar materials which are organized and made available to the public for investigating the people and history of the area;
(2) presentation of programs, which explore aspects of state and local genealogy and history,
(3) publication of a quarterly Pioneer Pathfinder, which includes information on the Society and features on area history. Our library, manned by volunteers and open to the public, is rich in city, county, and family history books, obituary files, magazines, CDs, cemetery records, and maps.
1. Use our website to assist you in your research
2. Visit our library as we have many books, atlases, family stories, etc. to help you in finding more about your ancestors
our non-profit association if you have an interest in genealogy. Your dues support our featured speakers and seminars.
4. Contact our Society if you have any research questions on genealogy or family history. Browse through our website and see if our online information is helpful in your research.