SPLIT ROCK TOWNSHIP. 

(101-48)

And Biographies

 

The boundary lines of Split Rock township were surveyed at an early date.  The portion of the south line bounded by the Iowa state line was surveyed in 1852, the remainder of the south line and the west line were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in July, 1859, the north and east lines by Cortez Fessenden in July, 1862, and the subdivision was made by Carl C.P. Meyer in August, 1864.  It contains 23,057.57 acres of land.  The Big Sioux river enters the township on the northwest quarter of section 4, and running thence almost due south, leaves the township and county near the center of the south line of section 33.  Split Rock river enters the township in the northeast quarter of section 2, but after pursuing its course in a southwesterly direction a short distance, turns north, and flows around the southwest corner of section 35 in Brandon, and again enters the township upon the same quarter section.  From this point it flows in a southwesterly course, and forms a junction with the Big Sioux a few rods south of the center of section 16.  This stream was at an early date known by the name of Emenija, and so well known as to appear in Johnson’s Illustrated Atlas of the World.  In the same atlas it also appears that there was a town located at the junction of the Big Sioux and this stream, with the same name.  Two branches of Beaver creek form a junction in section 13, and flowing in a westerly course, united with the Split Rock in section 15 near its north line.  There was also another small stream according to the government survey, flowing diagonally through the southeast portion of the township, forming a junction with the Sioux river at the center of the south line of section 33, but if a survey should be made in a dry season it would not find a place upon the map. 

In 1877 a small flouring mill was built on the east bank of the Sioux river in the northeast quarter of section 33, known as Banning’s mill.  In 1881 it was nearly destroyed by high water, and was not repaired and put in operation again until in 1892.  In some respects it is an important township, having within its boundaries the incorporated city of East Sioux Falls, and quite a village called Rowena.  The presence of Sioux quartize in large quantities in section 26, induced Thomas J. Ryan of Iowa to purchase several hundred acres of land and commence quarrying the stone.  In October, 1888, he platted forty-three blocks in the southeast quarter of this section, and the little village of Rowena sprung into existence.  A station on the Illinois Central railroad was located at this point, a post office established, and some fine buildings and two warehouses erected.  One of the remarkable features attending this post office is the number of postmasters who have been in charge during its existence.  George M. Nix was appointed postmaster November 9, 1888; H.J. Eager, May 28, 1889; John E. Brown, December 5, 1889; F.H. Marshall, September 6, 1890; F.R. Wright, June 22, 1894; Charles H. Matthews, June 1, 1896; and Alfred Reid, December 1, 1897.  The Electric Motor Line from Sioux Falls had its terminus at East Sioux Falls, while in existence, and the C., St. P., M.& O. railroad runs through sections 1 and 2, and the northwest corner of section 3. 

The first settler in this township was Ole B. Iverson, who located on section 21.  Four days after Mr. Iverson’s arrival Ole Bergerson came, and took up 320 acres of land in section 4.  The first house, a dug-out, was built in the fall of 1868, on the southwest quarter of section 21, about thirty rods northwest of the east end of the bridge across the Sioux River.  It was built by Mr. Iverson, Ole and Soren Bergerson, and Mr. Iverson and wife together with the Bergersons lived there the following winter.

 

LIST OF OFFICERS—1881-1899.

 

     1881.  The first meeting of the township board was held at the house of Peter Iverson, January 11, 1881, and the board was organized by the election of Charles Olander as chairman, R.S. Svole, one of the supervisors, and George White, clerk, were present.  June 9, a second meeting was held and all the members of the board, Charles Olands, R.S. Svolde and Ale Abramson, were present, also Ole Bergerson, justice of the peace.  At this meeting, Amon Johnson was appointed clerk.  July 18, the board met and allowed the bill of Christ Clauson, for twelve days’ work as assessor, in the sum of twenty-four dollars. 

     1882.  January 2, the board met at the house of Evan Frisley, and the newly elected officers qualified.  May 4, the board met, Charles Olander, chairman, Soren Bergerson and David Banning, supervisors.  Amon Johnson having removed from town, Alo Abrahamson was appointed clerk.  Gust Florell was treasurer of the township in 1882. 

   1883.  January 2, the board met and officers qualified.  Charles Olander chairman, Soren Bergerson, supervisor, Alo Abrahamson, clerk, George Larson, treasurer, John O. Walker and Ole Bergerson justices of the peace.  The clerk was directed to post notices in five different places ten days before town meetings.  January 24, the board met and appointed M. South supervisor and Sivert Swenson constable, and re-districted the road districts. 

   1884.  January 2, a town meeting was held at the house of John O. Walker, to determine whether the town would raise eleven hundred dollars to aid in the construction of a bridge at Peter Iverson’s across the Sioux river, but the records are silent in regard to the action of the meeting, except that John O. Walker was elected moderator.  At a meeting of the board February 26, a resolution was passed, that the construction of a bridge at Banning’s mill, should not become a charge upon the town, for the reason that it was constructed regardless of public demand and was of no use to a majority of the people of the town.  March 4, the following officers were elected:  Charles Olander chairman, M. South and Ole Bergerson supervisors, John T. Lee Assessor, John O. Walker clerk, George Larson treasurer, Thomas Cuthbert and Nels Simons justices.  A vote of thanks was passed to Mr. And Mrs. Andrew Larson for the use of their house for town meetings.  March 17, the town board met and discontinued a highway “that crossed a creek in numerous places, passed over hills and through sloughs, and was useless as a public highway.”  March 18, John O. Walker was appointed justice of the peace, to fill the vacancy occasioned by Thomas Cuthbert failing to qualify. 

  1886.  The annual town meeting was held March 2, at the house of Andrew Larson.  In addition to the election of officers, the town voted to elect road overseers and pound masters by the ballot.  The following officers were elected:  Ole Bergerson chairman, C.T. Clauson and Thomas Cuthbert supervisors, John T. Lee clerk, George Larson treasurer, Claus Clauson assessor and Gust Peterson justice.  May 18 the board allowed John Nelson $150.00 for damages sustained by reason of a road being laid through his land. 

 1887.  At the annual town meeting March 1, the following officers were elected:  Ole Bergerson chairman, Thomas Cuthbert and John T. Lee supervisors, George Larson treasurer, Charles Olander assessor, Nels Simons and Martin Lee justices, and Claus Clauson and Samuel Thompson constables. 

1888.  The annual town meeting was held at the house of C.T. Clauson, March 6, and the following officers were elected:  Charles Olander chairman, Oliver Munson and Ward Benedict supervisors, George Larson treasurer, J.T. Lee assessor, Thomas Cuthbert clerk, B.S. Peterson and John W. Briggs constables. 

 1889.  The annual town meeting was held at East Sioux Falls on the 5th day of March, and the following persons were elected to the respective offices:  Ward Benedict chairman, Charles Olander and Oliver Munson supervisors, Nels Simons clerk, S.C. Peaslee treasurer, J.T. Lee assessor, Frank Chaphe and A.M. Christie justices, and J.R. Reed and J.R. Blue constables.  October 29, S.C. Peaslee having resigned as treasurer George Larson was appointed. 

  1890.  The annual meeting was held March 4, at Rowena, and 186 votes were cast.  C.A. Lindstrom was elected chairman and Charles Olander and Halvor Mork supervisors, Nels Simons clerk, George Larson treasurer, J.T. Lee assessor, Wiley Lowe justice and Mike Welch constable.  It was voted that all town meetings be held at East Sioux Falls.  March 20 a town meeting was held to vote on the question of a resurvey of the town.  78 votes were cast, 27 for and 51 against. 

1891.  March 3, annual town meeting held at Rowena.  C. Lindstrom, moderator. The following named persons were elected:  Ward Benedict chairman, Halvor Mork and Fred Jacobson supervisors, Alfred Reid clerk, George Larson treasurer, Nels Simons assessor, Charles Olander and George Powers justices, M.S. Vance and M. Christianson constables.  April 7, the board examined roads and bridges and agreed with the town board of Valley Springs to build a bridge across Four Mile creek on range line south of sections 7 and 12, expenses to be equally borne by Split Rock and Valley Springs.  September 18, board met in joint session with Valley Springs board to consider the petition for opening the road on line between the towns prayed for.  Petition granted, and the amount of damage different persons would sustain by reason of opening the road agreed upon. 

 1892.  The annual town meeting was held March 1, at Rowena.  Ward Benedict elected chairman, Halvor Mork and Ole Bergerson supervisors, Alfred Reid clerk, George Larson treasurer, Nels Simons assessor and A.A. Christie justice.  October 25, John C. Newbold was appointed justice in place of William Paulton resigned. 

 1893.  The annual town meeting was held at Rowena, March 7, and the following officers were elected:  Ward Benedict chairman, Oliver Munson and Martin Lee supervisors, W.J. Benedict, Jr., clerk, W.M. Webster treasurer, Nels Simons assessor, E. Erlingson and J.C. Newbold justices, T. Carlson and J.H. Briggs constables.  April 15, a special town meeting was held “to determine whether land marks should be erected at section and quarter section corners throughout the town; and also whether the board should enter into a contract with the county surveyor, or an other competent surveyor, to make true survey of all sections and cause land marks to be erected permanently at each section and quarter section corner, as established by the U.S. Government survey.”  Fifty-eight votes were cast—42 for and 16 against.  June 20, board met and allowed a bill of T.M. Patten, county surveyor, for surveying the township at $275.00. 

  1894.  Supervisors, Nels Simons chairman, Oliver Munson and Martin Lee; clerk, F.R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid; assessor, Claus Clauson. 

 1895.  Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, Martin Lee and C.A. Lindstrom; clerk, F.R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid; assessor, Nels Simons. 

 1896.  Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, H.C. McGilvray and B.S. Peterson; clerk, F.R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid; assessor, Nels Simons. 

 1897.  Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, H.C. McGilvray and B.S. Peterson; clerk, F.R. Wright; treasurer, Alf. Reid; assessor, Claus Clauson. 

 1898.  Same officers as in 1897. 

 1899.  Supervisors, Richard Banning chairman, H.C. McGilvray and Tollef Neste; clerk, A.N. Brown; treasurer, Alf. Reid; assessor, Claus Clauson; justice of the peace, Martin Lee. 

 

EAST SIOUX FALLS.

 

     The platted portion of East Sioux Falls is situated on the southeast quarter of section twenty and the northwest quarter of section twenty-eight in Split Rock township.  The Big Sioux river runs through the city, and the Illinois Central railroad has a station at this point.  It is six miles east, and one mile south of the city of Sioux Falls. 

     A petition was presented to the board of county commissioners at its July meeting in 1890, signed by the requisite number of citizens residing within certain territory in Split Rock township, requesting the board to order an election to determine whether it should become an incorporated city.  An election was ordered to be held on the 19th day of August, at which time one hundred and forty-two votes were cast; all being in favor of incorporation.  The result was reported to the county board, and the territory included in the petition was declared to be incorporated as the City of East Sioux Falls.  An election of city officers took place soon after, and the city council held its first meeting October 15, 1890. 

     The incorporation of the city of East Sioux Falls was the result of the extensive quarrying of the Sioux quartzite at this point, the supply being inexhaustible, and near a railroad station.  For two or three years quite a large business was transacted, and the little city presented a lively appearance, but the hard time had a depressing effect upon its principal industry, and other lines of business suffered in a corresponding degree.  But this valuable stone is still there in large quantities and it is a favorable point for shipment, with a picturesque location, surrounded by a rich farming country, and although in a dormant state at the present time, it is not a Rip Van Winkle sleep that has overtaken this enterprising little burg.

LIST OF OFFICERS OF THE CITY 1890-1899.

 

     1890.  Mayor, J.C. Russell; aldermen, James McGrath, George Anderson, Samuel Thompson, Charles Delaney, Thomas Morris and Wm. Handley; James McGrath was elected president and Thomas Morris vice president of the city council; G.W. Jones, auditor; T.P. Howard, assessor; J.H. Voorhees, attorney; Edward J. Riley, treasurer; H.C. Cornell, city justice; Wiley V. Lowe, police justice; D. C. Rice, city engineer. 

At the first meeting of the city council, which was held in the East Sioux Falls Granite Company’s office, at the date above mentioned, the bonds of the officers were fixed as follows: mayor, $3,000; treasurer, $1,000, and all other officers $500 each.  At the meeting held October 23, the council ordered a map to be made of the city, and the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader was made the official newspaper.  On the 15th day of December the committee on streets and alleys was directed to purchase six lamps, and engage a man to light them when necessary. 

    1891.  Mayor, J.C. Russell; alderman, 1st ward, Thomas P. Howard, Samuel Thompson; 2d ward, H.C. Cornell, George Anderson; 3d ward, James McGrath, Thomas Hosken; E.J. Riley, treasurer; Charles Delaney, auditor; J.H. Voorhees, attorney; J.J. Warner, assessor; Wiley V. Lowe, police justice; Isaac Whittle, city justice; John O’Brien, chief of police. 

Board of Education, 1st ward, Thomas Thompson; 2d ward, Edward Peterson; 3d ward, E.R. Lossing. 

At the meeting of the council on the 5th day of January, the salary of the officers was fixed as follows:  mayor, $2; aldermen, $1 each; treasurer, $25; auditor, $50; attorney, $150, to take effect from the 15th day of October, 1890.  D.C. Rice presented his bill amounting to $32 for making a map of the city, which was allowed. 

     1892.  Mayor, James McGrath; aldermen, 1st ward, Samuel Thompson, George V. Lowe, to fill unexpired term; 2d ward, H.C. Cornell, George Anderson; 3d ward, George Waldrum, Harry Wardle, to fill unexpired term; Wiley V. Lowe, auditor; J.H. Voorhees, attorney; E.J. Riley, treasurer; W.J. Hunt, assessor, and he was appointed police justice June 13; Fred Rudkin; city justice; Harry Baum, chief of police, moved from the city and Mike Welsh was appointed, but was sent to the insane asylum, and Al Martin was appointed to fill the vacancy December 6. 

Board of Education, 1st ward, Thomas Thompson; 2d ward, John Hawkins; 3d ward, E.R. Lossing. 

Board of Health, 1st ward, George V. Lowe, Sam Thompson, to fill vacancy; 2d ward, George Anderson; 3d ward, Henry Wardle. 

    1893.  Mayor, James McGrath; aldermen, 1st ward, Sam Thompson and J.T. Ward, to fill vacancy; 2d ward, H.C. Cornell and George Anderson; 3d ward, Harry Wardle and Thomas Iverson; E.J. Riley, treasurer; Wiley V. Lowe, auditor; J.H. Voorhees, attorney; W.J. Hunt, police justice; Edward Peterson, city justice; Al. Martin, chief of police. 

Board of Education, 1st ward, Mrs. W.J. Hunt and David Banning; 2d ward, John Hawkins and Hans Sinklin; 3d ward, Al. Martin and Alfred Anderson. 

The following comprises a list of the officers elected at the annual elections from 1894 to 1899, inclusive. 

 1894.  Mayor, Sam. Thompson; Alderman, 1st ward, John J. Warner; 2d ward, George Anderson; 3d ward, Thomas Iverson; W.V. Lowe, auditor; Edward J. Riley, treasurer; W.J. Hunt, police justice; Edward Peterson, city justice; Allen Martin, chief of police; Thomas Thompson, assessor. 

  1895.  Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, W.J. Hunt; 2d ward, Edward Peterson, 3d ward; Peter Helgerson; W.V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Oliver Bursheim, police justice; Charles Safe, city justice; Rudolph Myers, chief of police; Peter A. Anderson, assessor. 

  1896.  Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, Thomas Thompson; 2d ward, Henry C. Cornell; 3d ward, William Meyers; W.V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Oliver Bursheim, police justice; Charles Safe, city justice; Rudolph Myers, chief of police; Peter A. Anderson, assessor. 

 1897.  Mayor, Sam. Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, William Handley; 2d ward, Charles Johnson; 3d ward, Wm. Meyers; W.V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Peter A. Anderson, assessor; John Gilliver, police justice; Peter F. Claussen, city justice; Henry C. Cornell, chief of police. 

  1898.  Mayor, Samuel Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, Charles Sibson; 2d ward, George Anderson; 3d ward, Alfred Wakeling; W. V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; H.C. Cornell, assessor; Peter F. Claussen, city justice; H.C. Cornell, chief of police. 

 1899.  Mayor, Samuel Thompson; aldermen, 1st ward, Lars Anderson; 2d ward; George Anderson; 3d ward, John Gilliver; W.V. Lowe, auditor; Thomas Iverson, treasurer; Henry C. Cornell, assessor; William Boyce, police justice; Peter Smith, city justice; H.C. Cornell, chief of police.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

 

     ANDERSON, GEORGE L.,is a native of Norway, and was born June 10, 1861.  He came to the United States in 1879, and lived with his uncle in Iowa for about two years; came to Sioux Falls in 1881, and when the penitentiary was built he was employed there; then worked for C.W. Hubbard in the stone quarries several years; moved to East Sioux Falls in 1888, and in 1892 commenced work for the East Sioux Falls Quarry Company.  Mr. Anderson has been alderman from the second ward in East Sioux Falls nearly every year since its organization as a city in 1890, has been a member of the board of health, and is an industrious, good citizen.

ASK, OLE SWENSON, one of the early settlers in this county, was born in Norway January 6, 1822, and emigrated to the United States in 1866.  He lived in Iowa four years, and came to Minnehaha county in 1870.  He secured a homestead in section 10 in Split Rock, where he still resides and has a good farm. 

BANNING, ABRAHAM, was born in Knox county, Ohio, on the 5th day of January, 1846.  He resided in Winneshiek county, Iowa, for a few years, but removed from there to this county on the 6th day of March, 1876, and bought the northeast quarter of section 33 in Split Rock, where he has since resided.  He is one of the proprietors of Banning’s mill, located on the east bank of the Sioux River near his residence.  He is an industrious, upright and respected citizen. 

  BENEDICT, WARD, was born in Steuben county, New York, July 1836.  When seven years of age he removed to Wisconsin with his parents, and resided there until 1886, when he went to Dakota and arrived in Sioux Falls April 30, of that year.  He bought the west half of section 24 in Split Rock and resided there for several years. He was elected town supervisor in 1888, and was chairman of the board four years.  He disposed of his farm in 1893 and moved into the city of Sioux Falls, and for some time was the proprietor of the Central House.  But Mr. Benedict is best known as a farmer, and since coming to this county has won the respect and confidence of his neighbors and acquaintances. 

  BERGERSON, OLE, was born in Norway September 27, 1844, and came to the United States with his parents in 1851.  He resided in Wisconsin and Iowa until 1868, when he removed to this county.  He took up 320 acres of land in section 4 in Split Rock, and 160 acres in section 24, in Brandon, and made his home on the homestead in section 4.  Ole B. Iverson was the only man who settled in Split Rock prior to him, and he had only been there four days when Mr. Bergerson arrived.  During the fall of 1868, Mr. Iverson and Ole and Soren Bergerson constructed the first house in Split Rock.  It was in part a dug-out, and in front of it a few posts were set up and a roof put on, and in this place Mr. Iverson, his wife, and the Bergersons lived the following winter.  It was located about thirty rods northwest of the east end of the bridge crossing the Sioux River at East Sioux Falls.  They were so much pleased with the country that they made a systematic effort to induce Scandinavians to come here and settle, and through their influence quite a large number of farmers of that nationality located in this county.  Mr. Bergerson has been very prominent in the affairs of Split Rock township, having held all of the town offices, and was also county commissioner from 1871 to 1879.  He is a large property owner, and has some investments in mining property in the State of Washington.  He has always been held in high esteem by his neighbors, and is recognized as one of the most reliable citizens in the county. 

   BOWMAN, S.A., is another of the old settlers.  He was born in Linkoping, Sweden, in 1830; emigrated to the United States in 1869, lived in Michigan four years, and located in this county in 1873.  He filed a pre-emption on the northeast quarter of section 11 in the town of Split Rock, where he still resides.  He also bought and now owns 40 acres in section 2, in the same township.  He has a good farm, and is a respected citizen. 

CHARLESON, THOMAS, is a native of Norway, and born in 1851.  He emigrated to this country and lived in Iowa for two years; removed to Minnehaha county in the spring of 1872, and took up the north half of the northeast quarter of section 10, and the north half of the northwest quarter of section 11, in the town of Split Rock, where he has since resided and has a good farm. 

CLAUSON, CLAUS, is one of the pioneers of Minnehaha county, having lived here since June 30, 1869.  He came from Winneshiek county, Iowa, where he was born December 29, 1854.  He took up a homestead in section 14, and a tree claim in section 15 in Split Rock.  He resides on his homestead, and is a good farmer and a good citizen; has been town assessor in Split Rock several years. 

 CLAUSON, CHRIST T., is one of the early settlers of this county, having lived on his present farm since 1872.  He came from Winneshiek county, Iowa, where he was born in 1854.  He was the first assessor in Split Rock, and has also been a member of the town board of supervisors.  His farm comprises 160 acres in section 14 and 15.  He is a good citizen and has a good farm. 

 FLORELL, ANDREW, came direct from Sweden to Dakota, and settled in this county in May, 1873.  He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 3, in the town of Split Rock, where he has lived ever since, and has now a good farm.  He was born June 17, 1828. 

   IVERSON, PETER, was born in Norway in 1853.  When only six years of age he emigrated with his parents to the United States, and settled in Iowa.  In 1871 Mr. Iverson came to this county, where he secured as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 21, in Split Rock township.  He also owns some real estate in Minnesota, but resides on is homestead, which is a good farm.  He is a good citizen. 

 JACOBSON, FRED, a son of L.A. Jacobson, was born in Sweden, August 24, 1863, and came to this country with his father in 1871.  He bought and now owns 160 acres in section 13, in Split Rock, where he resides.  He was a member of the town board of supervisors in 1891, and is a good citizen. 

 JACOBSON, LARS ANDERS, is a native of Sweden and was born at Motala, October 17, 1829.  He emigrated to the United States in 1871, lived in Illinois one year, and in Iowa, until 1875, when he removed to Dakota and settled in this county, where he has since been a permanent resident.  Mr. Jacobson took up a homestead in section 12, in Split Rock, where he still resides and has a well improved farm with good buildings.  He is a good citizen. 

 JACOBSON, PHILLIP, another son of L.A. Jacobson, was born in Sweden, October 18, 1864.  He owns a good farm comprising 160 acres in section 24, where he resides, and also 80 acres in section 36, in Split Rock.  He is a good farmer and a good citizen. 

JONES, THOMAS F., was born in Anglesey, North Wales, England, October 8, 1855.  He emigrated to this country and lived a few years in Mankato, Minnesota.  August 20, 1888, he became a resident of this county, where he has bought and now owns 80 acres in section 36, in Split Rock, one lot on east Sixth street in the city of Sioux Falls, and a house and lot in Rowena. 

 JOHNSON, CHARLES, was born in Stockholm, Sweden, June 25, 1834.  In 1868, he emigrated to the United States, and resided at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, five years, then at Sioux City for a short time, and removed from there to Dakota in 1873 and settled in this county.  He took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 12, in Split Rock, where he still resides and has a good farm. 

KNUTSON, JOHN, was born August 10, 1843, in Norway.  He emigrated to the United States, lived in Iowa for three years and removed to Minnehaha county in 1873.  He then filed a pre-emption, which he changed to a homestead, on the northwest quarter of section 15, in the town of Split Rock, where he still resides.  He afterwards bought 160 acres of land in section 17, in the same town.  He is a respected citizen and an enterprising farmer. 

 LARSON, GEORGE, is a native of Sweden, and was born May 13, 1860.  In June, 1871, he came to this county with his parents, who settled in Split Rock township.  His father, Andreas Larson, who died a few years ago, took up 160 acres of land in sections 22 and 23, of which the subject of this sketch is now the owner, besides another quarter section which he also owns, and has a good farm.  He has been township treasurer ten successive years, and is a good farmer and a good citizen. 

 LEE, MARTIN T., was born in Christiania, Norway, January 16, 1861, and came to the United States with his parents in 1867.  For three years his parents resided in Iowa, but in June, 1870, removed to Split Rock in this county.  They arrived on the 18th day of June, and the subject of this sketch, was old enough to remember that during the first two weeks of their residence there they lived on fish and milk.  The old homestead is located on the northwest quarter of section 2 in Split Rock, and he now resides there with his father.  He has bought some farm land near the homestead, and is an industrious, upright man and a good citizen.  He has been town supervisor for several years. 

   LEE, THORSTEN A., was born near Christiania, Norway, August 11, 1846.  In June, 1867, he emigrated to the United States, settled in Iowa for three years, and then came to Split Rock, arriving there June 18, 1870.  He soon after took up 160 acres in section 2 in Split Rock, where he has since resided.  He is a good farmer and a good citizen. 

 LINDSTROM, CHARLES A., is a native of Sweden, and was born on the 29th day of November, 1841.  In 1853 he emigrated to the United States with his parents, and resided in Illinois and Iowa until about the first day of June, 1871, when he came to this county.  He settled in Split Rock, and took up 240 acres of land in sections 17 and 20 in that township.  In 1873 he was elected sheriff of the county of Minnehaha, but did not qualify.  He has held school district offices and has been chairman of the town board.  In July, 1861, he enlisted in the 42d Illinois regiment and served until January, 1866.  He was wounded in the battle of Stone River, and again in the battle of Resaca, Georgia.  He was sergeant two years, and when discharged was lieutenant in Co. I.  Mr. Lindstrom is an honest, upright citizen, and is one of the most respected farmers in the county. 

  LOWE, WILEY V., was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, August 13, 1865; was reared in the State of Illinois, and educated at the Normal school at Stanberry, Mo.; was then employed as bookkeeper for several corporations in Iowa; came to East Sioux Falls in 1889, and took the position of bookkeeper for the East Sioux Falls Granite Co.; in 1896, he became the local manager of the East Sioux Falls Quarry Co., which position he still holds.  He has been postmaster of East Sioux Falls post office for several years, and has been city auditor since 1892.  Mr. Lowe is a young man of sterling worth, industrious and enterprising, and is an honest, upright citizen. 

MONSON, OLIVER, has been a well known resident of this county since November 21, 1875; he came to this county from Pennsylvania, where he first located after his coming to the United States.  He secured a homestead of 160 acres in section 19, in the town of Split Rock, where he has since resided, and has a well improved farm, with good buildings.  He has held the office of justice of the peace, and has been a member of the town and school boards.  He is a native of Sweden and was born July 29, 1851.  He is an industrious farmer and a good citizen. 

NILSSON, ANDREW, was born in the province of Wermland, Sweden, on the 12th day of March, 1834.  He emigrated to the United States in 1867, lived in Illinois five years, and came to Dakota in 1872, and located in this county, where he has since been a  well and favorably known resident.  He secured a homestead and tree claim in section 1 in Split Rock, and has since purchased about 200 acres of land adjoining, and has a good farm.  He is also the owner of some real estate in the city of Sioux Falls.  He resides on his homestead with his family, having five sons and two girls, and is a respected and good citizen.  He has been treasurer of the school board in Split Rock several years. 

 OLANDER, CHARLES, one of the early settlers of this county, is a native of Sweden, and was born in 1844.  He emigrated to the United States, lived in Michigan for some time, and located on his present homestead in 1872, which comprises the southeast quarter of section 11 in Split Rock township.  He also owns land in sections 2 and 11 in the same township, and eighty acres in section 16 in Valley Springs township.  He has been a member of the town board of supervisors several years, was assessor in 1888, and justice of the peace in 1891.  He is one of the well-to-do farmers of the township, and is a good citizen. 

PETERSON, BERNT S., one of the pioneers of Split Rock, was born in Norway June 23, 1846, emigrated to the United States in 1860, and lived in Iowa until 1869, when he located in Split Rock, where he has since remained a permanent resident.  The only settlers in this township at that time were Ole Bergerson, Soren Bergerson and O.B. Iverson.  He says he was the second man who secured a marriage license in this county, and Rev. Olson, now living at Canton, solemnized the marriage.  They lived in a sod and log house for ten years, which, as prosperity advanced, gave place for more modern structures.  He has been a successful farmer, and resides on his homestead in section 9, and has a well improved farm, well stocked.  He was constable in 1871, has been road master for about fifteen years, and is a good citizen. 

 REID, ALFRED, was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, in 1870, and emigrated to the United States and settled in this county in 1887.  He took up his residence at Rowena, and engaged in the stone business until quite recently, when he opened a general store at that place.  He has been town clerk two years, and town treasurer since 1897, and postmaster since December of that year, is an energetic, active citizen, and popular with his neighbors, and all who know him. 

 ROBERTSON, JOHN, was born in the state of New York in 1846.  In 1864 he enlisted in the navy, and served until the close of the war.  He then engaged in farming in Illinois and Iowa until 1884, when he removed to Dakota and settled on his present homestead, the southeast quarter of section 23, in Split Rock, where he still resides.  He is a good farmer and a respected citizen. 

RYDO, CHARLES, is a native of Sweden, and was born in Nerike December 18, 1835.  He came to this country in 1871, and lived in Pennsylvania and Iowa until 1876, when he settled in this county.  He owns the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section 14, and resides there. 

 SAMUELSON, JOHN A., is one of the first settlers in Split Rock.  He was born in Sweden, June 26, 1837; emigrated to the United States in 1868, and lived one year in Iowa.  In 1869 he came to Dakota and settled on his present homestead of 160 acres in section 13, in Split Rock, where he has since resided engaged in farming.  He is a good citizen. 

SIMONS, NELS, was born in Norway November 15, 1848, and emigrated to the United States in 1869.  After having remained in Wisconsin for about two months he went to work on a steamboat on the Mississippi river.  The next winter he spent in Clinton, Iowa, and in the spring of 1870 went to Sioux City and engaged in steamboating on the Missouri river.  In 1871 he came to Split Rock, this county, and took up the northeast quarter of section 35.  He has since sold one-half of this land, and purchased other land near by and has now a farm of 295 acres.  He resides on the west half of the northwest quarter of section 35.  Until 1882 he was engaged every year in steamboating either on the Mississippi or Missouri rivers, and during two seasons since then was engaged in the same business on the upper Missouri.  For fifteen years he held a license as first mate.  Mr. Simons is a character.  He is a good talker and takes an active part in politics, and is on one side or the other on all political questions.  He has held school district and town offices and is a good official, and a republican convention in this county without his presence as a delegate would not only be noticed but regretted.  He is a keen, sharp man, and maintains a good reputation as an honest, public-spirited citizen. 

 SWENSON, SEVER MARTIN, was born in Norway April 15, 1859.  He emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1866, and located in Iowa till 1870, when they removed to this county.  Some years ago he bought the southeast quarter of section 10, where he now resides, and has quite a good farm.  He has held some school offices, and is a good citizen. 

THOMPSON, SAMUEL, is a native of Norway, and was born August 11, 1863; attended school and worked on a farm until he emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1874.  His father, Thomas Thompson, took up one hundred and sixty acres in section 29 of Split Rock township in 1874, but died two years later.  A part of the homestead is within the limits of the city of East Sioux Falls, and the subject of this sketch resides in the city.  He has been alderman two years, and mayor of the city five years; was nominated for representative to the legislature by the Republican party of this county in 1898, but the fusionists were in the majority.  Mr. Thompson is an energetic, enterprising citizen, and highly esteemed. 

THOMPSON, THOMAS L., a brother of Samuel Thompson, was born in Norway in March, 1861, and came to this county with his parents in 1874, since which time he has been a resident of Split Rock township.  He resides at East Sioux Falls, and has been alderman of that city one term, and is a respected citizen. 

 TORKILDSON, IVER, has lived in Minnehaha county since 1873.  He formerly resided in Iowa, where he first settled after coming to the United States.  He is the owner of a good homestead on the southeast quarter of section 1, in the town of Split Rock, where he now lives.  He is a native of Norway, and was born in 1848. 

WEBSTER, MADISON, is a native of New York, and was born in 1840.  He resided for a while in Iowa, but removed to Split Rock in this county in 1873.  He took up a homestead in section 26, and since then has added to his real estate by pre-emption and purchase so that now he has 550 acres of farm land.  The stone quarry near Rowena is located on land purchased from him.  Mr. Webster is an industrious man and a good citizen. 

   WHITE, GEORGE B., has been a resident of this county since June, 1870, at which time he came here and took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 35, in Split Rock.  He now resides in Sioux Falls.  He has been clerk of the town board, and treasurer and clerk of school district No. 6.  Mr. White is a good farmer and a good citizen.  He was born January 3, 1853, in Athens county, Ohio. 

WOEHRLE, JOHN, came to the United States in 1880, from Wurtemberg, Germany, where he was born April 21, 1848.  He owns the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 6, in the town of Split Rock.  He is a good citizen. 

 

   
 

200 W 6th St
Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, SD
57104-6001

SVGS can be contacted Monday - Friday 12pm-4pm by contacting the Old Courthouse Museum  at: 605-367-4210
Privacy Policy - Modified on: 
Jan 03, 2014

 
© Sioux Valley Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved.