RED ROCK TOWNSHIP. 

(102-47)

     This township is bounded on the east by the Minnesota state line, and was surveyed in July, 1862.  The north, south and west lines were surveyed by M.K. Armstrong in October, 1864, and the subdivisions made by Carl C. P. Meyer during the same month, and according to the government survey contains 15,123.40 acres of land.  It has but little waste land.  Beaver creek enters near the center of the north line of section three, and pursues a southerly course through the township, and a tributary to the Split Rock river runs through the northwestern portion.  The first settlers were E.S. Buzzell and C.M. Johnson.  They took up land in 1872.  The Sioux City & Northern railroad runs through the northeastern part, and has a station called Booge, on the southeast quarter of section 10.  Nine blocks were platted at this point by J.R. Manning and wife in January, 1891. 

The first school meeting was held on the 4th day of June, 1877, and the first school was taught by Alta H. Buzzell in the dwelling house of F.W. Buzzell on the southwest quarter of section 27.  A post office was established at Booge on the 19th day of March, 1891.  The residents of this township are highly favored with shipping facilities as the stations at Valley Springs, Brandon, Corson and Garretson are but a few miles away. 

The resurvey of this township resulted in some highly contested law suits, in fact, in more litigation than any other township in the county, except Burk.  There are several fine farms in the township, and the farmers are industrious and thrifty.

 

RED ROCK TOWNSHIP BOARD.

 

     The first meeting of this board was held on the 13th day of January, 1881.  The supervisors were J.R. Manning chairman, J.C. Shepard, Magnus Swenson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; constable, Ed. Stone.  October 17, G.D. Bannister was appointed supervisor in place o J.C. Shephard, who had resigned. 

1882. Supervisors, D.J. Walker, Thomas Whealey, C.M. Johnson; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justice, F.G. Chaphe.  April 17, the board met and adopted measures to prevent the spreading of smallpox, which had broken out in the township. 

1883. Supervisors, G.D. Bannister chairman, E.R. Bannister, Axel Olson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, O.M. Wood; assessor, G.D. Bannister. 

1884. Supervisors, E.R. Bannister chairman, G.D. Bannister, Axel Olson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, O.M. Wood; assessor, G.D. Bannister. 

1885. Supervisors, E.R. Bannister chairman, F.G. Chaphe, G.D. Bannister; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, J.D. Burghart; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justices, J.P. Hogan, G.A. Shilstad; constable, R.P. Buzzell. 

1886. Supervisors, E.R. Bannister, J.R. Manning, Robert Kyle; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, J.D. Burghart; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justices; J.R. Manning, J.D. Burkhart; constable, Thomas Whealey. 

1887. Supervisors, J.R. Manning, Robert Kyle, M. Swenson; treasurer, H.D. Kinyon; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justices, J.R. Manning, F.G. Chaphe; constables, C.D. Harris, R.P. Buzzell. 

1888. Supervisors, E.R. Bannister chairman, H.D. Kinyon, G.W. Fay; assessor, G.D. Bannister; treasurer, R.P. Buzzell; justice, H.P. Brandt; constables, C.D. Harris, R.P. Buzzell.  October 30, E.R. Bannister having moved from the township, Robert Kyle was appointed chairman of the board.  February 26, 1889, H.D. Kinyon having moved from the township, Jasper Bannister was appointed supervisor. 

1889. Supervisors, G.W. Fay, Thomas Whealey, Homer McConnell; clerk, H.M. McConnell; treasurer, R.P. Buzzell; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justices, J.R. Manning, Homer Caldwell; constable, Lars Aker.  On the 5th day of March, a petition signed by twenty resident taxpayers was filed with the town board, praying that a special township meeting be called to determine whether the township would order a resurvey of the township.  The special meeting was called for March 21,a t which time the vote stood 42 for and 19 against the resurvey.  A tax of two mills was levied to defray the expense. 

1890. Supervisors, G.W. Fay, Robert Kyle, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, R.P. Buzzell; assessor, G.D. Bannister; justice, G.D. Harris; constable, D. J. Walker. 

1891. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, R.P. Buzzell; assessor, J.R. Manning; justices, J.R. Manning, Magnus Swenson; constables, R.P. Buzzell, Fred Grandberg.  March 9, 1891, the board employed J.E. Carland to assist H.H. Keith in survey cases. 

1892. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W> Buzzell; treasurer, O.M. Wood; assessor, C.A. Liem; justice, R.P. Buzzell; constable, Robert Delap. 

1893. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, O.M. Wood; assessor, C.A. Liem; justices, J.R. Manning, H. McConnell; constable, W.J. Kyle.  At the annual town meeting it was voted to refund to the persons who had advanced money in the survey suits the amount they had so advanced. 

1894. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, Frank A. Johnson; assessor, C.A. Liem; justice, D. J. Walker; constable, Fred. Grandberg. 

1895. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, Frank A. Johnson; assessor, C.A. Liem; justices, C.D. Harris; constable, W.J. Kyle.  At the annual town meeting it was voted that the township would defend the persons who should be prosecuted for any acts done by them in carrying into effect the new survey. 

1896. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, F.A. Johnson; assessor, C.A. Liem; justices, J.R. Manning, C.A. Liem; constable, Amund Amundson. 

1897. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, F.A. Johnson; assessor, C.A. Liem; justices, W. J. Kyle, Ed. Lewis; constables, H.H. Bly, Frank Straw. 

1898. Supervisors, Robert Kyle, G.W. Fay, C.M. Johnson; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, F.A. Johnson, assessor, C.A. Liem; justice, Fred. Grandberg; constable, Charles Forsberg. 

1899. Supervisors, Peter Williamson, G.W. Fay, Charles Forsberg; clerk, F.W. Buzzell; treasurer, C.M. Johnson; assessor, F.A. Johnson; justices, Ed. Lewis, W.J. Kyle; constables, Monroe Danney, Russell Kyle. 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

 

BANNISTER, GASTON D., was born in Leroy, New York, December 1, 1828.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools.  Before coming to this county he resided in Wisconsin and Iowa.  He secured a tree claim and homestead in sections 21 and 22 in Red Rock, and resided in that township until he removed to the Pacific coast in 1892.  He was one of the county commissioners of Minnehaha county from 1885 to 1891, and was elected a member of the lower house of the legislature in 1891.  Mr. Bannister was a quiet, unassuming man, and , as his record shows, had a large circle of friends.

 

BENGTSON, NELS, is a native of Sweden, and was born February 22, 1840.  He emigrated to the United States and lived in Iowa till 1884, when he removed from there and arrived in this county February 19.  He bought the southwest quarter of section 29 in Red Rock, but sold it in the spring of 1893 for $3,000, with the intention of spending his remaining days in his native country, but, after a short stay there, he returned to this country and bought a farm in Minnesota, where he now resides.

 

BUZZELL, ELIJAH S., is a native of Maine, and was born June 28, 1828.  He was educated in the common schools, and remained on a farm until eighteen years of age, at which time he commenced work as a house and carriage painter.  During the war he enlisted in the 27th Maine infantry, and served ten months.  In 1872 he came to this county, and was so much pleased with the country that he took up the northeast quarter of section 34 in Red Rock, as a homestead, and removed his family there in April, 1873, and has since resided there.  He is one of the reliable, popular citizens of Red Rock.

 

BUZZELL, CHARLES P., was born in Maine, December 29, 1869; is a son of E.S. Buzzell, and came to Red Rock in 1873, and resides upon the home farm.

 

BUZZELL, FRANK W., was born in Maine in December, 1853.  He lived in New York before he came West with is brother, R.P. Buzzel.  He settled in this county and took up a homestead on the northwest quarter of section 28 in Red Rock, where he has since resided, and has a good farm.  He has held the office of town clerk, and several school offices, and is an esteemed citizen.

 

BUZZELL, ROYAL P., was born in Maine, May 2, 1855.  He lived in New York until the spring of 1873, when he came West.  He arrived in Dakota April 14, 1873, and located in this county, on the northeast quarter of section 28 in Red Rock, which he took up as a homestead, and resided there until 1893, when he removed to California.  While a resident of Red Rock, he was town treasurer and constable several years.

 

CADWELL, H.A., was born in Indiana December 15, 1852.  He removed to Minnesota in 1855, and lived there until February, 1876, when he settled in this county and took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 4, in Red Rock, where he resided until in 1893, when he moved into the village of Valley Springs.

 

FAY, G.W., came to Red Rock in the fall of 1873, and took up two quarter sections of land comprising the southwest quarter of section 22, and the east tier of forties in section 27.  He resides on the southeast corner of section 27, and when he feels disposed to visit Minnesota he has only to cross the highway and he is there.  He has been elected to township offices, and is at the present writing chairman of the board of supervisors.  He is a good farmer and a good citizen.

 

FORSETH, E.O., was born in Norway in 1856.  He arrived in Dakota in 1883, and settled in this county, securing as a homestead the east half of the northwest quarter of section 9 in Red Rock, where he still resides.  He has also bought some school land in section 16 in the same town, and has a good farm.

 

FUCHS, NICK, a native of Germany, was born January 20, 1834.  He came to Dakota in October, 1892, and located on the southwest quarter of section 5, in Red Rock, where he resided with his family until his death, which occurred a few years ago.

 

HANSEN, SEVERT, was born in Norway in 1849.  He emigrated to the United States, and in 1885 located on his present farm, comprising 120 acres in section 6 in Red Rock, where he has since resided.  He has held several town offices, was school director three years, and is a good citizen.

 

HARRIS, C.D., was born at Sherburne, Chenango county, New York, in 1858; lived there and in Minnesota until 1884, when he removed to Dakota.  He arrived in this county on the 31st day of January of that year, and soon after bought the northwest quarter of section 29 in Red Rock, where he has since resided engaged in farming.  He has a good farm with substantial buildings, and is a good citizen.

 

JOHNSON, MORRIS, is a native of Norway, and was born March 9, 1844.  He emigrated to the United States in 1859, and located in Illinois.  In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, 34th Illinois Infantry, and in 1863, re-enlisted and remained in the service until July 22, 1865, when he received his discharge.  He was wounded slightly several times during the war, and once quite severely, a minie bullet striking him over the right eye, leaving a large scar to remind him of the service he engaged in so early in the cause of his adopted country.  Near the close of the war he was taken prisoner at Bentonville, N.C., and was incarcerated in Libbey Prison, where he remained until Lee’s surrender.  He went from Illinois to Grand Forks county, North Dakota, in 1882, and resided there until 1889, when he removed to this county.  He purchased the northwest quarter of section 5 in Red Rock, where he now resides with his family, engaged in farming.  He is a good reliable citizen.

 

JORGENSON, MIKKEL, was born in Norway, August 15, 1848.  He emigrated to America and lived in Iowa until 1876, when he came to Dakota and settled in this county, taking up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 10, in Red Rock, where he has since resided.

 

JULSON, HALVOR, was born in Norway in 1849.  H emigrated to this country and lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota until in 1874, when he came to Dakota and located in this county, taking up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 10, in Red Rock, where he still resides.

 

KYLE, JOHN F., and M.C., two sons of Robert Kyle, were both born on their father’s farm in Wisconsin, the former on the 5th day of October, 1870, and the latter on the 21st day of January, 1872.  John Kyle owns 120 acres of land in section 16, in Red Rock, but resides in Minnesota, engaged in the grain business.  M.C. Kyle owns 80 acres of landing the same section and resides with his father.

 

KYLE, ROBERT, of Red Rock, is a native of Scotland, and was born August 15, 1843.  In 1861, he emigrated to the United States and engaged in farming in Waushara county, Wis., for ten years, then carried on a lumber business in Michigan for about two years.  In 1870, he bought 80 acres of land in Red Rock, but he did not remove there with his family until in 1874.  He has been a very successful farmer, and is at this writing the owner of 720 acres of good farm-land in sections 16, 21, and 22, in Red Rock, and during 1898, raised 8,000 bushels of wheat, 4,000 bushels of barley, 2,500 bushels of oats, and 4,500 bushels of corn.  He resides on the southeast quarter of section 21, and has a splendid farm, well stocked.  He has also taken an active part in town affairs; was chairman of the town board of supervisors seven years, and has held several school offices.  Mr. Kyle is an honest, upright citizen, and well liked by his neighbors and acquaintances.

 

LARSON, CHRISTIAN, was born in Norway in 1847.  He emigrated to Iowa and lived there until he removed to Dakota in 1874 and settled in Red Rock.  He took up as homestead 40 acres of section 6 and 120 acres of section 7, where he still resides.

 

LARSON, IVER, is a native of Norway, and was born in 1845.  He emigrated to Iowa and lived there until 1871, when he removed to Dakota.  In 1873 he came to this county and took up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 31, in Red Rock, where he has since resided.

 

LIEM, CHARLES A., was born at Fredericksruhe, Germany, October 18, 1862.  He received his early education in the city schools, attended college three years and a polytechnical institute the same length of time, and learned the trade of mason and builder.  In 1882 he came to Fon du Lac, Wisconsin, and resided there three years.  In 1885 he removed to Dakota and located at Valley Springs, following his trade until the fall of 1888, when he engaged in farming in Red Rock.  He has been assessor since 1892, and in 1898 was nominated for the legislature by the Republican party, but was defeated with the balance of the ticket.  He is a good citizen and well liked by his acquaintances.

 

MANNING, JOHN R., was born at Andover, Windsor county, Vermont, in 1826.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools.  After having resided in his native state and in Indiana, Wisconsin and Iowa, he removed to Dakota in 1874 and located in this county.  He took up the northeast quarter of section 22, as a homestead, and as a tree claim the southeast quarter of section 10 in Red Rock.  He was chairman of the first town board in 1881, and has held several town offices.  He was elected a member of the legislature when South Dakota was endeavoring to organize into a state in 1885, and was also elected to the first legislature of South Dakota in 1889.  He is now residing at Booge, a station on the Sioux City and Great Northern railroad, which is located on the southeast quarter of section 10.  A post office was established at this place on the 19th day of March, 1891, and Mr. Manning was appointed postmaster, which position he has since held.  He is an honest, upright citizen, a good official, and highly esteemed by his neighbors.

 

McCONNELL, MARSHALL, was born in LaGrange county, Indiana, September 28, 1847.  He lived for awhile in Wisconsin; came to Dakota in 1875, and settled in this county, taking up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 19, in Red Rock, where he still resides, and has a good farm.

 

McGINTY, THOMAS, was born in the state of Wisconsin in 1848, and came to Minnehaha county in April, 1874, where he has remained ever since.  He took up as a homestead the south half of the southeast quarter of section 17, and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 20 in Red Rock, where he still resides, and has a good farm.

 

NORD, PETER, has been living on this homestead, the northeast quarter of section 29 in Red Rock since 1875, when he came here from New Brunswick, Canada.  He was born in Sweden in 1844 and came to America in 1871.  He is keeping “bachelor’s hall” on his homestead and is a good citizen.

 

OAKSTROM, E.W., is a native of Sweden, was born November 6, 1842.  He emigrated to America, and came to Dakota in 1875.  He settled in this county, taking up as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 30, in Red Rock, where he resided until recently, when he removed to South Carolina.

 

OLSON, AXEL, is a native of Sweden, and was born December 12, 1836.  He emigrated to the United States in 1868, and located in Illinois.  He removed from there to Iowa and came to this county in 1882, and took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 31 in the same township, and has a good farm.  He has been one of the supervisors of the town board several years, has held other local offices and has frequently been a delegate to political conventions.  Mr. Olson is a kind neighbor and a good, reliable citizen.

 

PARISH, H.T., was born January 21, 1833, at Oyster Bay, Queens county, New York.  He lived in Wisconsin and Missouri before he came to Dakota, November 9, 1872.  He took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 22, which he sold, and then bought the northwest quarter of section 34, where he resided until recently, when he removed to Colorado.  He enlisted in Co. A, 15th Reg. Of New York National Guard Volunteers, serving as sergeant thirty days from June 4, till July 7, 1864, when he was discharged.

 

ROLLOG, AUSTIN K., was born in Thelemarken, Norway, October 1, 1854.  He emigrated to Wisconsin in 1874, but left there for Dakota in March the following year, and located in this county.  In April, 1876, he secured the northeast quarter of section 15, in Red Rock, as a homestead, to which he has added by purchase about 110 acres.  He has a first-class farm, with fine improvements, and is one of the progressive and prosperous farmers of this section.

 

SCHEFFER, CHARLES E., of Red Rock, was born in Pennsylvania in 1859.  From there he moved to New Jersey and came to Dakota in 1878.  He first secured a homestead in the town of Palisade, but disposed of it and bought the east half of the southwest quarter of section 22 in Red Rock, where he now resides.

 

SWENSON, MAGNUS, was born in Sweden, July 27, 1836.  He emigrated to the United States in 1868, and located in Iowa.  On the 4th day of June, 1873, he arrived in this county, and two days later filed a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section 9, in Brandon, and in January, 1874, filed a homestead on the northwest quarter of section 18, in Red Rock, where he has since resided.  A few years ago he bought forty acres of school section 16, in the same township, and also owns 160 acres in Moody county.  Mr. Swenson is a prosperous, good farmer and has a good farm.  He has been elected to town offices, and is a respected citizen.

 

WALKER, DAVID J., was born in the town of Adams, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, Mary 22, 1825.  He lived in New York, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota before settled in Dakota in 1883.  He took up a homestead in sections 21 and 22, and a tree claim in section 15, in Red Rock.  He has been assessor, and chairman of the town board of supervisors, and resided on section 22, until July, 1895, when he sold out, and went to Hot Springs, South Dakota.

 

WOOD, ORAMEL M., a native of Vermont, was born June 4, 1846.  He lived in New Hampshire, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota before coming to Dakota in July, 1873.  At that time he secured a homestead of 160 acres in sections 21 and 22 in Red Rock, where he has since resided.  He has held school district and township offices, and is a good farmer and a reliable citizen. 

 

   
 

200 W 6th St
Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, SD
57104-6001

SVGS can be contacted Monday - Friday 12pm-4pm by contacting the Old Courthouse Museum  at: 605-367-4210
Privacy Policy - Modified on: 
Jan 03, 2014

 
© Sioux Valley Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved.