Check out the Calendar for information on our upcoming Seminar in April!

HUMBOLDT TOWNSHIP 

(102-52)

     The boundary lines of this township were surveyed by Wm. J. Neeley in August, 1859, and the subdivisions by H.T. Austin in June, 1867.  It contains 22,643.97 acres of land according to the government survey.  The map made by the first surveyor, shows not less than twenty-three ponds of water and two lakes; Beaver Lake on section 14,15 and 22 covered 307 acres, and Grass Lake on section 34 and 35 covered about 60 acres according to this survey.  During high water, suckers, black bass and pickerel have reached Grass Lake by way of a small stream having its source in this lake, and which runs through Hartford township in a northeasterly direction and empties into Skunk creek on the southeast quarter of section 19 in Benton township. 

Among the first settlers in Humboldt was Nicholas Beck, who came there in 1877, and during the year following, Michael Flynn, Henry Mundt and several others located there.  The first school house was built in the fall of 1879 on the northeast quarter of section 11, and the following winter the first school in the township was taught in this school house by Adelbert Oaks. 

The Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroad was built through this township in 1879, but there was no station established until several years later, and then it was a mere stopping place.  Beebe & Co. put up a grain warehouse in 1890, Hubbard & Palmer in 1891, and the Farmers Warehouse company’s grain and warehouse was erected in 1893.  In 1897, the railroad company built a commodious depot; and the John W. Tuthill Lumber Co. established a lumber yard, and commenced doing business July 5, that year.  A hotel and store were built the same year, and in the fall of 1898, John Mundt of Hartford erected a grain elevator with a capacity of 25,000 bushels.  In April, 1890, a post office was established, and since April 4, 1898, it has been a money order office.  There are some fine farms in the township, and the little village of Humboldt will undoubtedly thrive and grow rapidly in population, and as a business center.

 

     FARMERS’ MUTUAL FIRE AND LIGHTNING INSURANCE COMPANY.

 

----This company was organized in Humboldt township in 1891.  At its annual meeting January 2, 1894, the secretary’s report showed that it had a membership of 113, and was carrying an insurance of $181,540.  Up to this time the company had sustained one loss only.  At this meeting Wm. Englehardt was elected president, Henry Buchheim vice president, Carl Kruse treasurer, and Henry Mundt secretary.  At the annual meeting January 12, 1897, the secretary, Henry Mundt, reported that the total amount of insurance of the company was at that time $239,930, and the total membership 146.

HUMBOLDT TOWNSHIP BOARD.

 

     The first meeting of the board that appears upon the clerk’s record, was held on the 16th day of July, 1881, at the residence of D.M. James.  Supervisors, Lemuel Shaul chairman, D.M. James, Michael Flynn; Saul Shaul assessor, D.O. McCarty clerk, Deasro B. Oakes justice.  The only business done was the allowance of bills of the township officers for services.  The first warrant was drawn in favor of Saul Shaul for services as assessor in the sum of $22.  Several meetings were held by the board during the year, but the only business recorded is the allowance of bills, and the total sum of warrants drawn was $71.99. 

 1882.  Supervisors, Lemuel Shaul chairman, D.M. James, Charles Feyder; D.O. McCarty clerk, John Kruse assessor, D.B. Oakes and John Finn justices, Peter Ries treasurer.  On the 23d of March, Alex Schindler was appointed treasurer to fill the vacancy, Mr. Ries having removed from the township. 

 1883.  Supervisors, John Kruse chairman, D.M. James, J.P. Gallagher; O.J. McCarty clerk, John Wright treasurer, Henry Mundt assessor, D.O. McCarty and John Finn justices, Alex Schindler constable. 

    1884.  Supervisors, John Kruse chairman, John Gallagher, Alex Schindler; O.J. McCarty clerk, Wm. Kruse assessor. 

  1885.  Supervisors, J.P. Gallagher chairman, Alex Schindler, Henry Mundt; O.J. McCarty clerk, John Wright treasurer, D.O. McCarty assessor, Charles Hemig and Frank Becknell justices, Gust. Schievelbien and Lemuel Shaul constables. 

  1886.  Supervisors, D.M. James chairman, J.P. Gallagher, Henry Mundt; D.O. McCarty assessor, Charles Hemig treasurer, A.G. Hahn, clerk. 

    1887.  Superivsors, Henry Mundt chairman, Carl Kruse, Peter Finton; J.P. Gallagher treasurer, Amos Shaul assessor, A.G. Hahn, clerk. 

1888.  Supervisors, Henry Mundt chairman, Carl Kruse, A.K. Sanborn; W.M. Kruse assessor, J.P. Gallagher treasurer, Peter Finton clerk. 

1889.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Carl Kruse, J.W. Drake; J.P. Gallagher treasurer, N.B. Even assessor, Peter Finton clerk, George W. Shaul and Peter Finton justices, John Thrasher and N.B. Even constables. 

   1890.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, W.J. Berguin, Wm. Englehardt; Peter Finton clerk, J.P. Gallagher treasurer, F.B. Lockwood assessor.  Fifty-seven votes were cast at this election. 

 1891.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, W.J. Berguin, Wm. Englehardt; Peter Finton clerk, O.J. McCarty assessor, J.P. Gallagher treasurer, P. Chelius and Peter Finton justices, S.D. Maloney and E.E. Finton constables. 

 1892.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Wm. Englehardt, D.M. James; Peter Chelius treasurer, F.B. Lockwood assessor, Peter Finton clerk, Daniel Murphy and N.B. Even constables.  Sixty-five votes were cast. 

 1893.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, D.M. James, Henry Buchheim; Peter Chelius treasurer, W.J. Berguin assessor; Amos Shaul and Peter Finton justices, F.B. Lockwood clerk; John Thrasher and Daniel Murphy constables.  At a meeting of the board August 10, Carl Kruse was appointed treasurer, Peter Chelius having resigned. 

 1894.  Supervisor, Henry Buchheim chairman, D.M. James, J.M. Trecker; Carl Kruse treasurer, W.J. Berguin assessor, F.B. Lockwood clerk.  A malignant form of diphtheria broke out in the township in August of this year, and again the January, following, and the township paid out in caring for the sick, and the expenses of the board of health, about $500.  The county reimbursed the township in part of the money paid out, but having also paid out $200, the cost of four two-wheel scrapers, during the year, the township at the end of the fiscal year was in debt in the sum of $511.34, with no cash on hand. 

1895.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, John F. Jordan, M.P. Gallagher; F.B. Lockwood clerk, Carl Kruse treasurer, W.J. Berguin assessor, Peter Finton and D.B. Oakes justices, John Thrasher and N.B. Even constables.  Seventy-seven votes were cast.  At the close of the fiscal year the township had an indebtedness of $576.79 with only forty-one cents on hand. 

 1896.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Bernard Buls, John F. Jordan; F.B. Lockwood clerk, Carl Kruse treasurer, Peter Finton assessor, Henry Mundt and Peter Finton justices, H.J. Dubbe and John Thrasher constables. 

   1897.  Supervisors, Alex Schindler chairman, Bernard Buls, A. K. Sanborn, F.B. Lockwood clerk, D.M. Smith treasurer, Peter Finton assessor, Henry Mundt and Peter Finton justices, H.J. Dubbe and John Thrasher constable. 

  1898.  Supervisors, Bernard Buls chairman, Henry Lewyn, Charles Buchheim; F.B. Lockwood clerk, Gust. Schievelbien; assessor, W.J. Berguin; justice, Peter Finton.

 

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

 

     BECK, NICHOLAS, a native of Germany, was born in 1824.  He emigrated to the United States and lived in New York until 1877, when he removed to this county and located on his present homestead, the southwest quarter of section 25 in Humboldt, where he has since been engaged in farming.

 

     BUCHHEIM, CARL, was born in Clayton county, Iowa, November 28, 1861; attended the common schools and worked on a farm until 1886, when he came to this county and bought the southwest quarter of section 7 in Humboldt, where he has since resided.  He has held school offices, and is now a member of the township board, is a good farmer, and a respected citizen.

 

     BUCHHEIM, HENRY, was born in Germany December 7, 1854.  He emigrated with his parents to the United States in 1856, and settled in Clayton county, Iowa, where he was raised on his father’s farm.  On the 3d day of April, 1877, he came to this county and took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 33 in Humboldt, where he has since resided.  He has purchased eighty acres adjoining his homestead in Wellington, and has a good farm; has been treasurer of his school district eighteen years; chairman of the town board two years; and for the last three years has been in charge of the Farmers Warehouse at Humboldt.  He is an esteemed citizen.

 

     CALDWELL, HIRAM B., was born in Vermont March 14, 1829, and died in Humboldt township January 15, 1893.  When quite young he moved with his parents to South Bend, Indiana, and a few years later he removed to Baraboo, Wisconsin.  In 1869, he came to this county, where he resided until his death.  He was an upright, honest man, and an esteemed citizen.

 

     DRAKE, JAMES WESTLEY, is a native of New York and was born April 27, 1854.  He came to Dakota from Wisconsin in 1878, arriving in this county on the 25th of March.  He filed a pre-emption on the southwest quarter of section 12 in Humboldt, which he afterwards sold, and bought the northeast quarter of section 2 in the same town, where he resides at the present time.  He built the first “frame house” in Humboldt township—a board shanty ten by twelve feet—upon his pre-emption, in which he lived, and his neighbors thought he was putting on a great deal of style, as they were living in sod houses and log cabins.  Mr. Drake is a well-to-do farmer, has held school district and township offices, and is a good citizen.  His mother, Mrs. Anna C. Rawson, owns the southeast quarter of section 2 and the north half of the northeast quarter of section 14 in the same town, where she resides.

 

          FAUBER, CHARLES, was born in Ohio December 9, 1850.  He lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois before he settled in this county in March, 1880.  He filed a homestead upon the southwest quarter of section 11 in Humboldt, where he has since resided and has a good farm.

 

     FINTON, PETER, was born in Ohio, March 23, 1830.  He has been engaged in farming in Indiana, Minnesota and Nebraska and while residing in Minnesota was elected representative to the state legislature, and served during the session of 1872.  He came to this county and settled in Humboldt in 1884, taking up land in section 15, where he still resides.  He has been town clerk and justice of the peace in Humboldt several years, and is highly esteemed as a neighbor and citizen.

 

     FLYNN, MICHAEL, is a native of Ireland.  He was born in 1833, and when only thirteen years of age emigrated to the United States.  He lived in New York and Illinois until 1878, when he removed to Dakota, arriving in this county on the 12th day of January.  He took up as a homestead the northeast quarter of section 27, in Humboldt, where he built a sod house covered with lumber, in which he lived with his family until he built his present residence.  He also owns a tree claim on the northwest quarter of the same section, where his son, Edward Flynn, now lives.  Mr. Flynn was one of the first settlers in Humboldt who remained permanently.  He has a good farm and is a good farmer.

 

     KRUSE, CARL, is a native of Germany, and was born July 19, 1842.  During his minority he attended school and worked on a farm; in 1864 came to this country and settled down to farming in Clayton county, Iowa, and remained there until he removed to this county, where he arrived on the 3d day of April, 1877.  He took up the north half of section 33 in Humboldt township, where he still resides.  He has been a member of the town board of supervisors for several years, and township treasurer four years.  He is a good farmer and an esteemed citizen.

 

     LEWYN, HENRY, is a native of England, and was born in 1859.  He came to Dakota and located in this county in 1887, upon his present farm, the southeast quarter of section 35 in Humboldt, where he still resides.  Mr. Lewyn is a prosperous farmer and has a nice farm with good buildings and other improvements.  He formerly lived in Rhode Island, Maryland, Minnesota and Colorado.

 

     LOCKWOOD, FRANK B., was born in New York, March 15, 1839.  During the war of the rebellion he enlisted in the 12th Independent Ohio Battery, and served nearly four years, until the close of the war.  He has lived in a good many states, but for the last twenty years has been a resident of Dakota, coming to Salem, McCook county, in 1878.  In 1884 he removed to the northeast quarter of section 10 in Humboldt, where he has since resided.  He has been postmaster at Humboldt and has held township offices, and is an enterprising, respected citizen.

 

     MUNDT, HENRY, was born in Germany, October 21, 1853.  He emigrated and came to McGregor, Iowa, in 1867, where he worked on a farm two years, and then attended a Normal school at Galena, Illinois.  The following seven years and a half he worked in wagon manufactories in Iowa.  In the spring of 1878 he came to Dakota and took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 34 in Humboldt, where he still resides.  He purchased the southwest quarter of section 35 in the same town, and now has a valuable, well improved farm of 320 acres.  In 1881 he was road overseer; in 1883 assessor; was town supervisor four years, two years of which he was chairman; in 1888 was elected county commissioner and served his full term of three years.  He was very attentive to his duties as commissioner and took a lively interest in everything that came before the board.  He was especially careful in protecting the county funds, and no bill presented received his vote until he was fully satisfied that it was correct.

 

     MURPHY, HUMPHREY, was born in Ireland in 1840; came to the United States in 1864, and to this county in the fall of 1878.  He took up the southwest quarter of section 20 in Humboldt, and has resided there since then.  He is a respected citizen.

 

     OAKS, ASA, was born in Minnesota, November 10, 1868, and came to this county with his father, D.B. Oaks.  He is engaged in farming on the southeast quarter of section 12, in Humboldt, and is a young man of good character and well liked by his neighbors.

 

     OAKS, DEASRO BUCK, was born in Mina, Chautauqua county, New York, July 10, 1835.  He lived there and in Illinois and Minnesota until 1878, when he removed to Dakota, arriving in this county on the 25th day of May.  He took up as a homestead the southeast quarter of section 12, in Humboldt, and as a tree claim the southwest quarter of section 7 in Hartford, adjoining his homestead.  He has a good farm with three wells of good water, a commodious residence, granary and stables; he also has quite a large maple grove and an apple orchard in bearing.  He has held the office of justice of the peace, is an industrious farmer and a good citizen.

 

     O’CONNELL, TIMOTHY, was born in Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland, in 1832.  He emigrated to the United States and lived in New York, Pennsylvania, Iowa and Minnesota prior to his coming to this county in the spring of 1880.  He then took up as a homestead the southwest quarter of section 24, in Humboldt, where he has since resided.

 

     ROOT, ADDISON LINCOLN, was born in Ohio, May 10, 1845.  He lived in Wisconsin for some time and came to this county April 8, 1879.  He secured as a homestead the northwest quarter of section 11, in Humboldt, where he has since resided.  He enlisted in the army in 1865 and served thirteen months.

 

     SANBORN, AMOS K., is a native of Canada, was born October 30, 1838, and came to Dodge county, Wisconsin, when he was six years old.  He then lived in Minnesota and Iowa, and came to this county in July, 1880.  He says that all he had at that time in money was a five-dollar bill, and that he shoveled snow on the railroad to make a living the first winter.  He now owns the southeast quarter of section 8, in Humboldt, where he resides engaged in farming.  He has been a member of the town board of supervisors, and has held other minor offices, and is a good citizen.

 

     SCHINDLER, ALEXANDER, was born in Allen county, Ohio, June 26, 1845.  He lived in Indiana and Minnesota prior to his coming to this county March 28, 1879.  He then made a homestead entry on the northeast quarter of section 23, in Humboldt, and has resided there ever since.  He has been chairman of the town board, road supervisor and school district clerk.  He enlisted in the army and served from August, 1862, to August, 1865.

 

     SHAUL, AMOS, was born in Clark county, Ohio, November 28, 1826.  He was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools.  In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, 110th Ohio Infantry, and served until the close of the war.  At the time of his discharge he was first lieutenant of Company C.  After the war he engaged in farming in Ohio, Indiana and Iowa, and in 1882 settled in Humboldt, where he resided until July, 1896, when he removed form the state.  He held various town offices, and frequently attended the Republican conventions as a delegate.  He was frequently known to have opinions of his own, but they are always in line with good citizenship.

 

     WEBSTER, LEONARD, was born in the state of New York, in 1831.  He lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota before he came to this county, where he settled on the 25th of May, 1880.  He filed a homestead upon the northwest quarter of section 10, in Humboldt, where he resides engaged in farming. 

 

 

   
 

200 W 6th St
Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, SD
57104-6001

SVGS can be contacted Monday - Friday 12pm-4pm by contacting the Old Courthouse Museum  at: 605-367-4210
Privacy Policy - Modified on: 
Jan 03, 2014

 
© Sioux Valley Genealogical Society - All Rights Reserved.